…to have some fun! Several weeks ago, Sheryl, of the fabulous Notable Music Studio blog, contacted me to let me know that she had bestowed upon me the highly sought after and coveted Versatile Blogger award. Okay, so maybe that’s a bit overly dramatic, but hey, an award is an award, right?! 🙂
In order to receive the award, there are certain criteria that must be met. Namely, I must share seven random things about myself. Fair warning: read on at your own risk.
- I have an obsession with looking up words in the dictionary. For starters, I looked up the word, “versatile” to get an official definition of this award before I accepted it. The definition reads, “capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.” Is it just me or is this a cleverly disguised way of identifying someone with ADD? As in, can’t stay focused for any length of time on a single task. 🙂 Hmm…guilty as charged. I am horrible at multi-tasking and sticking to one thing for a long time, but I do often move quickly from one thing to the next to try to accomplish as much as possible in a short amount of time.
- I change my own oil. In my car, that is. My brother-in-law taught me how about five years ago and I’ve been doing it ever since. The once or twice I’ve had my mechanic do it, I always regret it because the next time I go to do it myself, I about twist my hand off my wrist trying to unscrew the oil filter.
- If you invite me to go target practice with you, I’ll be there in a heartbeat! I love shooting and have a bruise on my shoulder right now to prove it. 🙂 Last weekend, I shot sporting clays with a friend of mine and I think his 12-gauge shotgun that I tried once did me in. Better stick with the 20-gauge until I get more experienced! I’m saving up to buy my own gun right now, but I’ll probably start with a handgun and go for a shotgun a little later.
- Last year I published my first book, Pajama School, and even though I adamantly refused to consider writing another book after that long and difficult process, I think I’m starting to get the itch again! I’ve had an idea floating around in my mind for a while, so right now I’m praying about it and waiting to see if I should launch this new project or not.
- This might really make me look like a geek, but I actually enjoy tracking expenses, setting up a budget, and balancing my checkbook. I have been known to record $.25 expenditures in my bookkeeping program just to make sure that I have an accurate account of all my finances. (My Dad is in the financial industry and began training me in finances at a young age, so I blame him for this!)
- Whenever I travel to a new place, I love to pick up the free homes magazines and look through them to get a feel for the area housing market. And if someone in my family travels somewhere, they know to bring these magazines back for me! Maybe this stems back to the days when I thought I would become an architect and spent hours drawing up plans for all sorts of houses…
- I love to cook and experiment with new recipes, but I have a habit of destroying kitchen appliances. We’ve been through several blenders, a couple of food processors, and who knows how many hand mixers. I contend that the manufacturing standards aren’t high enough, but my family just runs for cover when I don my apron and put on my chef’s hat! 😉
So, there you have it, folks. A little glimpse into my life outside of music and teaching. Maybe five years from now I’ll share more! But for now, let’s see if we can get some of my favorite bloggers (who haven’t already been nominated) to divulge tid bits about their lives as well. 🙂 Here are my seven nominations for the Versatile Blogger Award:
Chris Foley of The Collaborative Piano Blog
Joel of So You Want to Teach
Jenifer Cook of The Church Pianist
Gerald Klickstein of The Musician’s Way Blog
David Cutler of The Savvy Musician Blog
Natasha Banasiak of Notes from A to G Piano Studio
Steve Engel of Music Ed Lounge
If you don’t have a blog, but would be willing to share seven things about yourself (especially if you want to share something that will make me feel less like I’m the only geek around…), the comments are all yours! I’d love to get to know some of you better.