Just came across this list from MTNA that I thought was great! After spending part of the afternoon working on ideas and objectives for my summer piano camps (yes, I confess, I’m just now getting around to planning them), I can see how these will be really helpful in determining what kinds of activities to incorporate. And of course, it provides some great structure to work within for private lessons throughout the year.
Ten Essential Skills for Promoting a Lifelong Love of Music and Music Making
1. Ability to internalize basic rhythms and pulse.
2. Ability to readâ€”musical literacy.
3. Ability to perform with physical ease and technical efficiency.
4. Ability to hear the notes on the page.
5. Ability to work creativelyâ€”improvise, compose, harmonize and play by ear.
6. Ability to understand basic elements of theory, form, harmony, etc.
7. Ability to respond to the interpretive elements of the composition in order to express the emotional character of the music.
8. Ability to conceptualize and transfer musical ideas.
9. Ability to work independently and problem solve.
10. Ability to perform comfortably individually and with others in a variety of settings.